- January 2013 – August 2016
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy, LMU Munich
- August 2016 – present
- Assistant Professor, University of Tilburg
- 2008 – 2012
- PhD in Philosophy, London School of Economics – Title: Scientific Uncertainty and Decision Making. Passed with minor corrections. Examiners: James M. Joyce and Jon Williamson
- 2007 – 2008
- MA in History and Philosophy of Science, University of Bristol – Title: Structuralism and Geometry. Distinction
- 2004 – 2007
- BSc in Mathematics and Philosophy, University of Warwick 2:1
- Non-classical probability and convex hulls (forthcoming) Erkenntnis
- Modelling Inequality (forthcoming) with Karim Thébault and Alexander Reutlinger. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science
- Constraints on rational theory choice (forthcoming) British Journal for the Philosophy of Science
- Vague chance (2016) Ergo, 3:20
- Can free evidence be bad?: Value of information for the imprecise probabilist (2016) with Katie Steele. Philosophy of Science, 83:1 1–28
- How to choose among choice functions (2015) Proceedings of ISIPTA 2015
- Imprecise Probabilities (2014) Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Laplace’s Demon and the Adventures of his Apprentices (2014) with Roman Frigg, Hailiang Du and Leonard A. Smith. Philosophy of Science 81:1 pp. 31–59
- Should subjective probabilities be sharp? (2014) with Katie Steele. Episteme, Vol. 11, pp. 277–289
- Uncertainty, learning and the ‘problem’ of dilation (2014) with Katie Steele. Erkenntnis, Vol. 79, pp. 1287–1303
- Laplace’s Demon and Climate Change (2013) with Roman Frigg, Hailiang Du and Leonard A. Smith. Grantham Institute on Climate Change discussion paper 103
- Probabilistic forecasting: why model imperfection is a poison pill (2013) with Roman Frigg, Reason L. Machete, Leonard A. Smith. New Challenges to Philosophy of Science, Edited by Hanne Andersen, Dennis Dieks, Gregory Wheeler, Wenceslao Gonzalez and Thomas Uebel. Springer
- Dutch book arguments and imprecise probabilities (2012) Probabilities Laws and Structures, Edited by Dennis Dieks, Wenceslao Gonzalez, Stephan Hartmann, Michael Stoeltzner and Marcel Weber. Springer
- Scientific uncertainty: A user’s guide (2011) Grantham Institute on Climate Change discussion paper 56
- A literary approach to scientific practice (2011) Metascience 20, pp. 363-367
Fleshing out the ‘levels’ argument for compatibilism about chance and determinism
- September 15, 2016 Tilburg Epistemology and Philosophy of Science seminar series University of Tilburg
Philosophers as Mediators: the Case of Econophysics
- September 05, 2016 – September 07, 2016 René Descartes Lectures 2016 Workshop University of Tilburg
A Survey of Imprecise Probabilities with an Ulterior Motive
- May 19, 2016 – May 20, 2016 Probabilities in Science and Philosophy (First Jerusalem–Munich Workshop) The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Morals from Model Migration: Lessons from Econophysics
- January 19, 2016 Invited colloquium talk Universität Düsseldorf
Symposium on Imprecise Probabilities
- September 23, 2015 – September 26, 2015 European Philosophy of Science Association conference Universität Düsseldorf
- September 10, 2015 – September 11, 2015 Studying Knowledge Transfer and its Contexts Centre for Advanced Study, LMU Munich
- July 02, 2015 – July 03, 2015 British Society for the Philosophy of Science University of Manchester
How to choose among choice functions
- July 20, 2015 – July 24, 2015 International Symposium on Imprecise Probabilities, Theory and Application Pescara, Italy
- May 20, 2015 – May 22, 2015 Bristol Imprecise Credences Conference University of Bristol
Confidence from robustness: a cautionary tale
- June 12, 2015 Munich-Salzburg seminar University of Salzburg
- May 26, 2015 – May 28, 2015 Uncertainty in Climate Science and its Impact on Decision-making Paris Sorbonne
The logic of evidence and its relation to rational belief
- April 22, 2015 – April 24, 2015 PROGIC 2015 University of Kent
Non probabilistic chance?
- October 30, 2014 MCMP Work in Progress seminar Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy, LMU
- June 18, 2014 – June 19, 2014 Chance and Conditionals Workshop Institute of Philosophy, London
- July 05, 2012 – July 06, 2012 British Society for the Philosophy of Science University of Stirling
Rational theory choice
- August 28, 2014 – September 02, 2014 ECAP8 University of Bucharest
Learning from dilation and belief inertia
- June 27, 2014 – June 28, 2014 Imprecise Probabilities in Statistics and Philosophy Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy, LMU
- June 23, 2014 – June 24, 2014 Reasoning club conference University of Kent
A general theory of updating beliefs
- March 31, 2014 – April 04, 2014 Philosophy of Probability conference Venice International University
- December 03, 2013 Bayreuth Research Forum University of Bayreuth
- July 20, 2013 – July 22, 2013 Bristol–Munich Workshop University of Bristol
When can we take model probabilities seriously, and what can we do when we can’t?
- October 11, 2013 – October 12, 2013 Probabilistic Modelling in Science and Philosophy University of Bern
- July 10, 2013 MCMP weekly seminar Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy, LMU
The role of rationality in rational choice and theory choice
- July 04, 2013 – July 05, 2013 British Society for the Philosophy of Science University of Exeter
Sophisticated imprecise choice Joint work with Katie Steele
- November 30, 2012 Choice Group workshop London School of Economics
Are reduced complexity models only useful because humans are stupid?
- October 05, 2012 – October 06, 2012 Explanation, models and simulation in social and behavioural sciences University of Barcelona
There is no disagreement about disagreement
- July 06, 2012 – July 08, 2012 Joint Session of the Aristotelian Society and the Mind Association University of Stirling
Can free evidence be bad? Joint work with Katie Steele
- June 06, 2012 Formal Epistemology Festival Universität Konstanz
- January 26, 2012 Rationality and Decision meeting MCMP LMU Munich
- November 02, 2011 Choice group LSE
Robustness does not warrant confidence in climate models
- October 06, 2011 European Philosophy of Science Association University of Athens
- July 07, 2011 British Society for the Philsophy of Science University of Sussex
- May 26, 2011 Philosophical issues in climate change workshop University of Bristol
Problems with imprecise decisions are unavoidable
- May 07, 2011 London-Berkeley graduate philosophy conference University of California, Berkeley
Decision making with climate models Joint work with Roman Frigg, Lenny Smith and Reason Machete
- September 22, 2010 LRR10 University of Ghent
- May 22, 2010 Modeling in the social and behaviourial sciences IHPST Paris
- February 03, 2010 Choice group seminar LSE
Vague Dutch books
- September 09, 2010 Pluralism in the foundations of statistics conference (ESF) University of Kent
- June 09, 2010 DGL10 Paris
- June 09, 2009 Philosophy of Probability II LSE
- 2017 Spring
- “Logic, Language and Information (planned)”, Course Coordinator, Tilburg University.
- 2017 Spring
- “Science, Society and Information (planned)”, Lecturer, Tilburg University.
- 2016 Winter
- “Philosophy of Science (for economists and econometricians)”, Course Coordinator, Tilburg University.
- 2016 Winter
- “Thinking about Science”, Course Coordinator, Tilburg University.
- 2016 Winter
- “Mentor Group 3 (Study Skills)”, Course Coordinator, Tilburg University.
- 2016 Winter
- “Philosophy of Science for IBA”, Tutorial Leader, Tilburg University.
- 2016 Summer Semester
- “Social Epistemology”, Course Designer, Lecturer, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität.
- 2015/16 Winter Semester
- “Topics in Metaphysics”, Course Designer, Lecturer, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität.
- 2015 Summer Semester
- “Philosophy of Economics”, Course Designer, Lecturer (joint with Catherine Herfeld, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität.
- 2014/15 Winter Semester
- “Evidence and Scientific Method”, Course Designer, Lecturer, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität.
- 2013/14 Winter Semester
- “Practical Rationality: Individual, Strategic and Social Choice”, Course Designer, Lecturer, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität.
- 2013 Summer Semester
- “Philosophy and Climate Change”, Lecturer (co-taught with Mathias Frisch), Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität.
- “Evidence and Scientific Method”, Graduate Teaching Assistant, London School of Economics. Course Handouts
- “Introductory Logic”, Graduate Teaching Assistant, London School of Economics. Course Handouts